This is a follow up to the “What is PR?” video, the purpose of this video is to give a little more depth of understanding to how public relations can help small businesses. In this video I focus on the problems which public relations can solve. By undertaking the right planning and strategy, public relations can make a real impact on how a brand engages with its target audience. Public Relations is powerful but all too often small businesses underestimate its power and end up feeling short changed when they do engage with a PR agency or consultant. It is so important to learn about public relations and how it can make it a difference in your business.
“Public Relations is the discipline which looks after reputation, with the aim of earning understanding and support and influencing opinion and behaviour. It is the planned and sustained effort to establish and maintain goodwill and mutual understanding between an organisation and its publics.” – CIPR
In this video I provide a simple yet hopefully effective definition of Public Relations and its overall impact and influence on society at large. Whilst I work primarily with business clients via my business Ariatu PR I still understand the influence that public relations has on communities. Public relations is about building and maintaining reputations, reputations that are build on fact and maintained by trust. We see what happens when brands and businesses do not the importance of PR and communications with their “publics”; anyone they need to communicate effectively with including stakeholders, employees, customers and the media into consideration. One of the most obvious and urgent impacts being PR disasters. By understanding PR you can understand how it can be used to improve your business credibility, raise visibility and enhance communications. It is so important for businesses and entrepreneurs to understand it and if more gained a strategic understanding of public relations and they would see a vast improvement in how their business operates as a whole. I hope this video helps those of you who have struggled with understanding what public relations is:
For more information about how PR can help your business visit the Ariatu PR website http://www.ariatupublicrelations.com/
It’s so important for entrepreneurs to remember that they are brand ambassadors for their business, all too often many forget how influential their brand profiles can be and the impact it can have on their overall PR & Media image.
Here are just a few simple tips that every entrepreneur should keep in mind when representing their business and implementing PR as part of their core marketing strategy.
- Invest in good visuals for your business or yourself. The power of a good quality image is under estimated. As an individual get some good studio images and head shots (not selfies). For products get good quality product shots, they really do help sales particularly for online impact and social media sharing.
- Be your own biggest cheerleader. Be your own most adoring fan. If you’re doing something amazing SHARE IT! Don’t wait for people to celebrate you. Start sharing your greatness from wherever you are and the recognition will come. Don’t let anyone else’s limitations keep you from seeing what you’re capable of. Release any notions that you cannot be great in your life. Be bold, brave and dare to be different. Not only will it make you stand out from other entrepreneurs but you will encourage and inspire others to be great too.
- Think before you tweet! Your social media presence should be a reflection of your business/personal brand. Whether you are the owner of a business or an employee everything you share online can easily be traced back to your brand so be wise. If you’re using social media be confident that you’re happy with what you share and always assess your intentions before sharing. Screenshots and re-posts mean that nothing on social media can ever really be erased.
- Be who you want to see! Represent your personal/business brand authentically and confidently both offline and online. Carry yourself in the manner in which you want to be identified as. Don’t try to replicate or impersonate anyone else, be true to yourself.
- Be mindful of who you share personal & private information with, as idle gossip can turn into a PR disaster too quickly. As your personal/business brand grows the number of people you can trust falls. Sad but true so be careful when sharing personal info. You will find that the more successful you become the more ‘friends’ you suddenly have, be wise and pay attention.